Wednesday, January 13, 2016

False Alarm

Dear Peeps,

As you probably know from the previous post's comments, last night was a false alarm. I guess we all are a little bit tired today, but it was definitely something that needed to be checked out. Baby is still safely riding around waiting to be born.

It is another cold day here. I could use a warm couch and a blanket and about an hour-long nap. Maybe in a little bit that will be a do-able thing. But I have things to do and places to be this evening so it won't be a long nap! That's for sure.



I've been scanning more vintage papers lately. This is the inside cover (I think) of an old seed catalog: Good and Reese 1896. Isn't it pretty! I love the look of old papers and inks. And I am crazy about the fonts they used for printing. Things just are not the same, though I guess there are actually some amazing reproductions and choices out there now.



Another item scanned into the library is this old ad for Egg-O-See. It is a cereal that ensures perfect health and good nature. Good nature? Hmmm. I sure could have used this when my kids were running around like wild animals, jumping on beds and swinging in the trees. Or maybe when they were arguing. Yes. Definitely.



But speaking of perfect health, I was going through postcards the other day and doing some reading. Again. So much fun! The postcard above is from 1914. It seemed so light-hearted until I turned it over.



Dear Mrs. Larson,

I rec'd your card today. Was glad to hear from you. I have wrote two cards and I sent them to Hope Kaus so that is the last of them. I sent my girl to the hospital on Tues. with dropsy. She is very sick. Everything o.k. at home. My love to all.

Mrs. H.J. Batschelet

Postmarked December 31, 1914

I did another Google search and found where in 1913 someone by this name filed a claim with the US post office for burglary. Looks like the claim was made in Duboistown, PA. Lo and behold that is where this was postmarked. In looking at the 1940 census there was a Harry L. Beschelet born in Pennsylvania in 1876 and living in Duboistown. I am presuming Edith was his wife. If these are the folks on the postcard it would make sense. At the time the postcard was written, Edith would have been 36 years old. So young!

The rest of the card I am not quite sure about. I see Elmo. Kaus. c/o John...is that Bain? I guess at this point I will stop with it. Perhaps someone working on genealogy will come across their family member here. As you know, this has happened with one of my postcards before.



Regarding the shop, I have made some really fun signs recently from old campaign signs. Cover in white paper. Glue on printed vintage letters.

Enjoy this day!
Lynn

9 comments:

  1. My guess is that name is John Baier. It must be fascinating tracking down things regarding these old cards and letters, but I can imagine that it takes soooo much time. Well I know how much time I have spent doing something similar. But it is so fascinating.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baler. Definitely coul be. What looked like a dotted I to me could just be a period or comma or ink mark. They definitely wrote differently then. They sure writ MORE than we do these days!
      XO
      Lynn

      Delete
  2. Shame about the false alarm but on a positive note they are both fine and the baby will come when she is ready. What a great postcard, amazing what you can find out from so little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are so right!! Counting my blessings!
      XO
      Lynn

      Delete
  3. B-a-i-e-r, not Baler:) I've been wanting to ask you about the Whole 30 link. Are you a W30 alumni? I did one, well more of a W60, at the start of last year, and have been eating paleo ever since (other than the occasional treat when I eat out).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Now that could be! Baier. Sorry about that! I am not an alum but want to be. My mom and I have talked about doing together so we are each sort of getting our minds and our pantries right. I eat typically a lot of veggies, low carbs (gluten free) and probably close to paleo, but lately I have been HORRIBLE!! And I can tell it. How do you feel now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel good. For me the weight loss was a big thing, so down 25 lbs, although a few have crept back on of the last little while, I wasn't as strict over the holidays. No heartburn, muscle inflammation in my left hip gone, don't stiffen up the same when I'm sitting on the couch or in the car. My husband got rid of inflammation in his shoulder, no acid reflux, was able to get off his cholesterol meds, although still on blood pressure. Got to say that it didn't do much for improving my sleep, but being on the computer late sure doesn't help with that either;-). One of the best things I have done for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so good to hear. I feel like a different person when I stick to the very basic fruits and vegetables and herbal teas and a good source of protein, for me I love dried beans. When I have your off of that path and start eating a lot of carbs and gluten and sugar, I feel awful.

      Delete
    2. **veer off of that path. Ha ha. Thank you, Siri.

      Delete

Dear friends, I love hearing from each and every one of you. I will always do my best to respond and to keep up with your blogs as well. xoxo Lynn