Monday, August 29, 2016

Converted Evening Gown to Prom Dress or Steampunk Gown

Dear Dress Lovers,

Recently I had an idea.  I saw a long, plain, black evening gown for a few dollars.  The skirt on the dress was just straight, but had some fullness, and it was a nice satiny material.  As-is it was, uh, boring, but it had good "bones," so to speak, especially the way the top laced up in the back, giving it a corseted look.  I bought it. 

When I got it home, I worked on the lower part of the gown, tucking and stitching in various places to give this full, gathered-up look.  The dress had some netting that was torn in several places and had come loose on one side.  First I mended all the holes.  Hey!  A stitched-up look is only more goth!  I reattached the loose side of netting.  It was okay, but it looked too intact.  Too neat.  So I picked up the scissors, held my breath, and began cutting.  I sliced up through the netting from bottom to top in several places.  I trimmed pieces that looked too long.  Ahh, now this time it was perfect to me!  

Jason was kind enough to take some pictures for me to use for the store and ads.  So here are a few of the photos.  We both have several photo editing programs that we use to get various effects.

I hope to one day design an album cover.  He is helping me with a CD of my original songs, but that is another post for another time.  And actually it is HIS music that needs to be out there for the world to hear!


image

Photo editor used to make the netting a glorious purple but give the rest a black and white look.

image

A meme!


 image


image

You have seen this one already...

image

I love this one!

image

I love that you can see part of the yard that I have been playing in. We call it Lynnwood. The huge group of mushrooms came from The Scrap Exchange. Love it! I will share soon about how I want to do the yard. I love the trees and how it feels like a magical forest. Reminds me of where I grew up!

  image

That is all for now.  I do expect to do more of these dresses.  I am ALWAYS shopping for the shop.  I scout around.  I am a picker.  I look for what has the vibe of my shop.  People have heard of me now and they bring me things to buy or to have for the shop.  People cleaning out estates have heard of me.   They bring me lots to offer a price on.  Oh, the joy of buying 100 pieces at a time and sitting in the shop going through it all!

I have performers coming in, and I try to buy what I would want to wear if I worked in front of people.  I love modest things, but I love edgy things.  I think these converted gowns would make awesome prom dresses.  They are fun and attractive but not too revealing.  I just know that I am doing what I love, what truly makes my heart sing.  Add to that our music, and I am very fulfilled right now.  I have to work on continuing to heal.  A quarter of a century is a lot to let go of.  I am learning to keep very close to me the things that were beautiful, and to love myself for being strong enough to leave and build a new life.

Enjoy this day!

Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lynn... you are ageless. And your spirit is one of the most beautiful I've ever encountered.

    Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesa, thank you!! You are very kind.
    xo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends, I love hearing from each and every one of you. I will always do my best to respond and to keep up with your blogs as well. xoxo Lynn